GLADYS VALLEY GYMNASTICS CENTER
Formerly the Mitchell Playhouse, the building was renovated and transformed into a gymnastics center. The Beavers began training in the facility in the fall of 1992, moving from Langton Hall, their previous training grounds.
The center was made possible with the help of a $700,000 grant from the Wayne and Gladys Valley foundation.
The playhouse was gutted, the ceiling raised and the building totally renovated. The gym now includes loose foam and resi pits, a training room, locker rooms and coaches' offices.
Prior to the 2006 season, through a generous booster donation, a cardio fitness center was added in the loft level of the gym. The Beavers' newest training area includes 18 stationary bikes allowing the entire team to "spin" together.
Mitchell Playhouse was built in 1898 and had been used on campus in the past as a gym, armory, music building, student center and bowling alley. In the 1940s, the building was converted into a playhouse but was shut down in recent years. No more than 50 people were allowed in the building at one time due to fire code restrictions, and the playhouse was moved to Withycombe Hall.