The Oregon State volleyball team opens play August 30 when visiting Rochester, Mich., as part of the Oakland Tournament. To help preview the team’s season, we asked each of the team’s players 20 questions.
Here’s what sophomore and Dundee, Ore., native Haley Clarke had to say.
1. What was the most fun activity you got to do this summer?
“Road trip to San Jose to visit former teammate, Kathleen.”
2. Of all the trips you've made playing volleyball, what has been your favorite?
“My favorite trip to this day has been the one to Chicago when we played Penn State.”
3. What does it mean to you to play volleyball at Oregon State?
“Playing volleyball at OSU means a lot to me because of the atmosphere Beaver Nation creates. Stepping out on that court, I am not only doing it for myself or my teammates, but also for Beaver Nation.”
4. If you could change one rule about volleyball, what would it be?
“If I could change one rule about volleyball, it would that anyone in the front row can reach across the net at any point to touch the ball, instead of waiting for it to cross the plain or for the third touch.
5. What's your favorite pre-match meal?
“I love yogurt, granola and fruit prior to matches along with a little carbs. Eating too many carbs weighs me down so I try and keep those portions down.”
6. What sport would you play if you didn't play volleyball?
“If i didn't play volleyball, I would probably play basketball or do track.”
7. Who is your favorite actor?
“Denzel Washington is the man.”
8. How about your favorite actress?
“Mellissa McCarthy is hilarious, but I have a woman crush on Jennifer Aniston.”
9. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
“I would play myself in a movie.”
10. Who is your favorite Oregon State athlete other than one of your teammates?
11. On a plane trip, do you sleep, study, or listen to music? Or a combination of those three?
“What’s studying? I am all about that sleep and music.”
12. If you could appear as an actress on any TV show, what show would it be?
“I would appear on House as a doctor and solve a crazy case.”
13. Reality TV: Interesting to watch or boring? If interesting, what's your favorite reality show?
“It is interesting for like the first two episodes..then it seems too staged or is too predictable.”
14. What's better, going to the coast or going to the mountains?
“Probably mountains, because they are good year around, where as the coast isn’r 360 days out of the 365 here in Oregon. There is always something to do in the mountains.”
15. What's one place in the world you would travel to that you haven't already seen?
16. What's the earliest you've ever woken up to play a volleyball match?
“Here at OSU, I would say the earliest is probably 5 a.m. during the spring when we have to drive out to the tournament.”
17. What's the best gift you've ever been given for your birthday?
“The best gift I have ever been giving on my birthday is when we beat Penn State.”
18. Chocolate or vanilla ice cream?
“Neither, I don’t like ice cream.”
19. Best day of the week?
20. What is one random fact most people don't know about you?
“I have a freckle on my tongue.”